Detailed Description of Project
Jordan was affected by the huge influx of Syrian refugees as a result of the internal conflicts in Syria. The overall population of Jordan increased by 20% since the start of the Syrian crises in 2011. This huge increase in population placed an additional load to the already stressed infrastructure services in Jordan. Syrian refugees were distributed between refugee camps in Mafraq, and within the hosting communities in different governorates. The biggest refugee camp is the Za’atari.
Orient was assigned to provide the consultancy services for the preparation of designs and tender documents for the water supply network in Za’atari Camp. Namely; districts 1, 2, 3, 4, 10, 11, and 12.
Works included the assessment of the current situation and evaluate water supply options. Four options to supply the Camp with potable water were thoroughly investigated and assessed, and the best option in terms of service reliability and quality was recommended and approved by ACTED.
Main components for the recommended options were:
- 2,500 m3 concrete tank: supplied from three different sources, Yarmouk water Company (YWC), Za’atari Camp deep wells and water tankers.
- 100 m3 elevated concrete tank to distribute water in the required pressure and flow rate; supplied with water from the ground reservoir
- 3 pumping stations including small water tanks.
- HDPE pipes network to supply WASH centers, taps distribution points, other users and communal facilities. The total lengths of the proposed system 170,000m and the range of diameters 500mm – 63mm and the house connections
Type of Services Provided
- Complete the surveys works.
- Conduct the feasibility analysis for water supply options
- Conduct complete EIA
- Develop the hydraulic model for water supply system (WaterCAD)
- Develop the network design and the design of pumping stations and design of associated electromechanical, structural and civil components
- Control and SCADA systems
- Reservoir Design – Structural and Civil
- Risk and Vandalism assessment
- Operation Plan.
- Preparation of Tender documents
|Client||ACTED - Agency for Technical Cooperation and Development|
|Overall Project Value (USD)||5 Million (100,000 for consultancy services)|
|Proportion carried out by Candidate (%)||100%|
|No of Staff Provided||9|
|Origin of Funding||UN, NGOs|
|Date||2014 (3 months)|